Saturday, September 5, 2009

How to shoot video for the web.

In this first installment of "How to shoot video for the web" we will look at the type of camera you need. The camera shown is a Canon XL2 which is considered broadcast quality because it has 3 CCD chips that record in 3 colors – Red, Green and Blue. A consumer grade video camera has only one chip to handle all 3 colors. Do you need a 3-chip camera to film for the web? Yes and No. As a professional editor, I like to have high quality footage to work with even though the final video will be for the web. I like seeing true colors when I edit. Computer monitors vary drastically from machine to machine so the true colors of the food in the web video for example will vary drastically. One of my clients wanted to use the footage from an earlier shoot for an IMAG presentation and a television commercial. I could not use the footage shot by a 1-chip camera. The color was too far off from reality. I learned my lesson. Always shoot high quality and adjust downward.


In my next blog about "How to shoot video for the web" I will discuss why you should limit panning in your videos. For more information about web video go to http://www.digitalvideomarketing.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment